inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, April 23, 2009

there may be no cure for my addiction...


One would think, that with a generous fabric stash like this one, I would be content. But now that my beloved Country Quilter has retired from the scene, I am looking for alternative shopping spots. There are two other local shops, but they are not nearly as warm as cozy as the Country Quilter was. 

I am trying to use up more of what I have on hand...saving money and learning to make do with what I have (!!!).

But I cannot quell the fabric lust.

I've decided to slow the fabric aquisition down a bit, and in the meantime, be looking for really unique and special vendors/artists. Less quantity, better quality. 

Remember Ink and Spindle? They are growing and expanding and I am delighted for them. They do beautiful work, with environmentally friendly supplies.

I've also been following Scarlet Fig for a while, and have my eye on some fabric over there. Laurie is actually doing a giveaway this week. Check it out here.

I often find beautiful, unusual fabrics at the vendors at quilt shows, too. Some of my favorites are indigo and white pieces from Japan, and earthy, geometrics from Africa. I bought a stack of small pieces of Duponi silk in dazzling colors that I still use sparingly for special work.

My late mother-in-law, Joan brought me some lovely fabric from Provence, which I'm still using. (And it's such a nice reminder of her thoughtfulness). I bought some Liberty when I was in London a few years ago (yum!). 

I've been recycling clothing these days, too, using things like button plackets, cuffs, and ruffles. I have a small stash of the kids' old clothes, waiting to be incorporated into future work, too. And I have a box of my GrammieLowry's hankies that may find their way into dresses for little girls someday.

Where do you find special fabric?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you've discovered these cool, innovative fabric suppliers. Most of the fabric that i buy is commercially made and sold, but two of my favorite sources carry interesting ethnic fabrics in addition to the usual Modas, Hoffmans, etc.--Web Fabrics (webfabrics.net), which has the added advantage of being within driving distance of here! and equilter.com. And Handloom Batik has really delightful block printed and batik fabrics from India, plus wooden tjaps that used to be used for fabric printing and can now be used for stamping... i see they now have a web site (handloombatik.com) but no online presence...you'll just have to catch up with Usha at a show, like the Vermont Quilt Festival :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiltcat, I'm not sure wether to thank you or not! Gretta and I send each other e-mail links to fabric sites with the subject line "danger, danger!". I am especially intrigued with the tjaps...

    ReplyDelete