inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, April 18, 2009

tidying up

This is my generously sized kitchen island. Covered in piles of sorted mail, books, magazines, things to be filed, and "misc." I tend to stash stuff in a big basket, but then the moment of truth comes (above) when it must be dealt with. Please tell me that this happens to you sometimes, too! I'm close to clearing it off, but it's such a CHORE! And I always ask myself when it happens, "How did you let it get this bad, again?"

Gretta is at a very far away softball game, so Peter and I have dug into chores. He's been working in the yard, I've been hanging laundry out in the fresh air. We also washed Vermont mud off the cars, and our driveway now looks like the Mississippi Delta, with rivulets of mud and dirt meandering down to the bottom. Can't believe the chunks of dirt that came off the bottom of our cars! Don't worry, we always use green products. I made the first iced tea of the season and we had a picnic lunch on the front steps! A pair of bluebirds were checking out the house I built from a kit a few years ago. Bunnies were munching green things in the lower area and there's birdsong all over the neighborhood. The porch is open and I think it's finally spring!

Gretta just called from the bus. She is full of excitement. She hit her very first home run. And she is so pumped up that she's ready to go shopping for a prom dress when I pick her up at 5:30.  (The prom is next weekend, and her school is so small that grades 9-12 all attend. Not many couples, mostly friends). Gretta loves to shop about as much as I do (read that DREAD). So I'm hoping we can make short work of it, come home, have supper and settle down to watch Amazing Grace (which is a great movie). Peter has not seen it yet, so we must keep our mouths shut while we watch it.

SO, was it that kind of a day for you? 

And I cannot resist, I took a sneak peek at this and now I can hardly wait until October! If you click on the trailer and watch, you will be hooked...
 

2 comments:

  1. Believe me, Karen, I've seen the same pile o' stuff on my kitchen table too many times to mention! But eventually I, too, become tired of it and start the sorting, filing, recycling process!!
    Sounds like you had a productive day. We have just returned from a great mini trip which I'll be blogging about tomorrow!
    Any luck with the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't dare post a picture of my kitchen table, which has a one-foot deep pile of papers, magazines, and miscellanea on it! and that's an improvement over how it was 2 months ago, when the pile was so high i could barely see over it.

    I hope the bluebirds set up housekeeping in your birdhouse! My little lot is too wooded for them to nest, but i hear them all around the neighborhood, twittering cheerfully.

    ReplyDelete