inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, February 25, 2010

pie

(in honor of george washington's birthday
and the story of george and the cherry tree.)

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To a New Englander, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.
-ascribed to E. B. White,
though some credit the punch line to Robert Frost.
i made this pie with canned, tart cherries,
with a scant 1/4 cup of sugar.
i'll recycle the reserved juice in a smoothie and/or add
a splash to a glass of sparkling water.

bethany, come on over and have a slice!

7 comments:

  1. One slice for breakfast please!
    Reed, you're brilliant.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks yummy and I really love the quote!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your son stewart makes a good pie... i wonder how he is with lattice work crust... maybe over the weekend i can convince him to give it a shot... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. silly blogger ate (!) one of my posts again. I love cherry pie, but pie cherries are hard to find around here, and then take so long to pit once you do find them...so i only get a fresh sour cherry pie every few years. Did you use canned cherries rather than pie filling? That certainly is a delicious looking pie, especially under its pretty lattice crust!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep.... as Canadians...we sometimes refer to you guys as Yankees...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I am finally catching up and you invited me for pie exactly a week ago and how did I miss it? I love pie. I love cherry pie. I love you!
    Thanks Karen. Um, is there any left?
    Really, this just made me smile so wide.
    Made my day. And it's been a tough week.
    You are sweeter than pie.
    Lucky me.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete