inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

good ghosts in the kitchen


this sweet platter came from my gram's kitchen and the rolling pin belonged to my best friend, nancy's, mom.







i've got three of these cooling racks that came from my gram's.
i remember shelling fresh peas into this enamelware bowl 
and the crockery bowl came from 
her kitchen, too.






this colander is a workhorse in my kitchen, and the masher uses no electricity. mmm...remembering sunday pot roast dinners at gram's house, down the driveway from ours.







when we went to duxbury beach with my grandparents,
i remember these coming out of the big metal cooler, 
filled with raw carrot sticks, black olives and pickles. 
each held tightly closed with a rubber band. 
my grandpy would walk down the beach with us to
buy icy cold orange fantas. a huge treat. 
and i remember sand between our toes
as we got back into the car to head home.


i love having these treasures in my kitchen. they connect me to those who came before me, and I love that they help me cook in the present day, carrying on the love...

do you have any treasures that you use everyday?

7 comments:

  1. These are so neat, your memories connected to them too, I can see the plump peas falling into the pretty bowl. I love the little green beach containers. Fun.
    I can't think of any treasures right now. But I will look around when I get home.
    Oh, I just watched the BBC's Secret Garden and they were talking about "A bit of earth", is that where you got that phrase from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am coveting the green containers! My daily dinnerware is a set of Superior Hall Jewel Autumn Leaf that my father collected. I used to save them away for "special" but decided everyday should be special enough to use something that brings me such joy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love things like that too, Karen. My mom's dishes always remind me of family gatherings, her wonderful cooking and her lovely taste in having pretty things around. She is all around me, every day.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Reed, my colander looks exactly the same. It was my mom's - a Wear-Ever aluminum. I also have a similar rolling pin and a really cool meat tenderizer that were hers. Brings back some good memories!
    xo... a dreamer of pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...i run in the night.
    you see us together,
    chasing the moonlight...

    ReplyDelete
  6. and ya, bethany, check out my new "pages" feature just under my header. there's a "drop down" page all about a bit of earth. bingo secret garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a pair of my aunt's wedding candlesticks and some odds and ends from my mother. My mother continues to hold the motherload (no pun intended) of kitchen and dining ware. She has slowly been letting some go to my sisters and me. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete