inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, August 19, 2010

to ohio and back

Last year, at just about this time, I was shuttling Gretta off to Illinois, for her first year of college. This week, I caravanned with Hannah out to Ohio, for her first year of teaching at a small boarding school. She had sorted through all her possessions (Goodwill/trash/recycled/re purposed) and packed what was deemed essential into her car and our pick up truck. We had fun using our walkie talkies along the way and arrived in Ohio with time on Tuesday evening to begin setting up her apartment in the girls' dorm.

The school has a working farm, where the students raise a lot of the food served in the dining hall. There's a herd of sweet goats...
and the campus is so lovely and pastoral.
The place seems timeless and much loved.
Here's our girl, assessing her classroom space, thinking about how to make it her very own.
And here's the dresser she painted...
We spent some time putting furniture together, setting up her tiny kitchen and getting to know some of the super nice staff. 
Last night, after I hugged her good-bye, I snapped this picture of the evening sunshine on the face of the  Meeting House on campus. I was sad and proud and happy to leave her there....

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, bittersweet bounty for Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a lovely school...very Quaker or even Shaker in aspect. I hope that Hannah will have a very good year there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Karen, this post brought up so many feelings for me. The school seems like a perfect fit for Hannah and I hope she loves teaching there. I do remember looking at my first classroom and planning how to make it wonderful. And, of course, I identify with you,Karen, as you send your daughter out to make her mark in the world.
    Love to both of you,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you on this bittersweet celebration. Another one launched to add to the good in the world - celebrating with you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marmie!!! Having you there made the whole process much better! xoxo

    ReplyDelete