inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, October 16, 2010

still connected

it's a bit early for
dia de los muertos celebrations...
but this time of year always grabs me by the heart
and makes me miss the folks who have gone on without me.
here is an eerie, old polaroid of my
grammie lowry, standing next to my wedding cake
thirty one years ago.
her birthday is october 19, 1901
and she died on october 12, 1992
just shy of her 91st birthday.
i have been longing for her company ever since. 

the veil between our world and theirs 
really does feel so, so thin at this time of year.
i can almost feel the steam rising from our tea cups,
while sitting at her kitchen table.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, it's interesting that you mentioned this today as I could feel my mom's presence around me in the kitchen while I made a pineapple upside down cake for my dad's birthday tomorrow — traditionally this was something she baked for him every year, it being his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post and a lovely tribute to your "grammie." I smiled to see that I share a birthday with her. How blessed if I live as long as she did!

    ReplyDelete