inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

fuel for the good life and an opportunity, too.

Late afternoon on Sunday we...
  • dug up about half of the carrots and
  • all of the beets, both golden and chiogas
  • cut bunches and bunches of rainbow chard
  • harvested the pie pumpkins
  • picked the cherry tomatoes
  • gathered the garlic braids from the woodshed
  • cut a few branches of rosemary and...
We loaded everything into the pick-up,
tucked the potted flowers from the porch inside, safe from the frost
and headed back south to CT.

This week I will be...
  • roasting root vegetables with the fresh rosemary
  • dropping off bunches of carrots to unsuspecting friends
  • making our favorite creamy herbed carrot soup, (dairy and all) from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special
  • sauteing garlic, onions and chard to package up and put in the freezer
  • roasting the pumpkins to make puree for the freezer...for pies, muffins and bread later in the fall
  • sending garlic braids off to our far-flung children, so they can enjoy "a bit of earth" at their homes
  • sauteing the tomatoes with other veggies for a bowl of pasta that's tough to beat
  • oh, and let's not forget about the fresh pressed cider I bought at the co-op. :-)
FALL BLISS!
I love having the goodness from our gardens in VT
to nourish us and keep us connected to that treasured ground.
It is good fuel for the dream.

What's going on in your autumn kitchen?

And here's a great opportunity to help keep flood ravaged Vermonters cozy this winter!
To read about the Winter Warmth Project, click here.

4 comments:

  1. THis morning I made tomato chutney and yesterday I found about 10 kilo's of walnuts. How good is life in the countryside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting about the Winter Warmth Project, Karen. I'm definitely on board with that. Lots of fabric here!
    Your harvest is beautiful and, I'll bet, delicious. I'm not much of a cook, but you're always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please send me a picture of one of the round carrots we planted? Thankyoumoreplease. Nice haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, your produce makes me DROOL. And many thanks for the Winter Warmth Project; I don't quilt yet and even if I was to start now, would never be done by winter, but I will pass the word on to all the quilters I know back in the US.

    ReplyDelete