inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, September 16, 2011

guest post from gretta


I've been in Australia for 3 weeks now! Time flies when you're having fun. I've had lots of stereotypical experiences: seen wallabies, koalas, and an echidna, gone surfing, tried Tim Tams and Vegamite. But my experiences here have been so much more!

I've seen the most amazing sunrise I've ever seen in my life, been in my first rainforest, and designed an eco home.

Our classroom has been the beach, kayaking on estuaries, organic farms, rainforests, and national parks. Perhaps the most interesting thing I've noticed is how sustainable behaviors have become part of the mainstream culture here. It's common to see houses with rain water collection, solar panels, and clothes drying on the line. The majority of residents probably couldn't give you a definition of sustainability or tell you many statistics about global climate change, and they would think it's ridiculous that they would be considered an environmentalist in the United States. But they have a sizeable garden and flock of chickens (or choocks as they call them). They conserve water. They plant native species because the invasive weeds have been a pain.

We've talked about sense of place, environmental philosophies, rainforest ecology, sustainable agriculture, low impact home design, as well as several other bits and pieces of sustainability. Next up is a trip to Tasmania, Melbourne, and Sydney!

(Gretta is our youngest of four, enjoying the fall semester of her junior year in college, studying in Australia. We have enjoyed keeping in touch with her via once a week Skype sessions. Just wait til she writes about her upcoming independent study. I am green with envy!)

6 comments:

  1. wow - that girl is certainly in her element.
    soak it in gretta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she is really a daughter of her mother! Great girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing your viewpoint, Gretta. Your voice is the kind that doesn't make it into the tourist guides, and that apparently the Aussies don't brag about themselves. How inspiring! Thanks for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how wonderful!!! Now this is real learning!!! Good luck, Gretta, and enjoy every moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible place! My husband was just this morning trying to convince me that we need to move to Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Gretta, you just might have been somewhere around my neck of the woods -- we're in the hills behind Noosa (Qld). Glad to see you're enjoying your Oz adventure. And forgive me, but as a retired editor I can't help making two editorial corrections: it's Vegemite (not Vegamite) and chooks (not choocks)! You're right: we Aussies still prefer to dry our washing in the sun. I remember being shocked when visiting my brother in the USA and finding out that even though his house sat on one whole acre, it didn't have a clothesline!

    ReplyDelete