inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Sunday, September 18, 2011

rural infatuation

We have not been back in Vermont since the devastating flooding three weeks ago. Yesterday we headed to the 140th Tunbridge World's Fair. The fairgrounds were soaked in the flooding, but no buildings were lost, so the fair went on as an affirmation of all things rural in Vermont. We promised Gretta that we'd arrive in plenty of time to watch the goat judging at 10AM. We took notes for her, and loved watching 4-H kids wrastle their goat kids. Here's a picture of a few of the sweet Nubians, gathered before the judging began.
The exhibition halls were full of produce (a 700 pound pumpkin!!!), and inspiring displays of jams, jellies, pies, quilts, floral arrangements and much more. 
Anyone want a pickle? Have you ever seen such a huge jar? And here's a very fine mandolin strummin' scarecrow.
The cavalcade of animals was kicked off by Governor Peter Shumlin, who spoke about Vermont's resilience, self sufficiency and community spirit. This year, the crowd roared and cheered with extra exuberance. And the color guard looked especially dapper this year.
As usual, I was fascinated by the parade of animals. But this year I was misty eyed as I watched those inter-generational groups march by, holding onto their livestock with a renewed tenderness and appreciation. A way of life has been challenged by the wrath of Irene, and these folks have held steadfast, determined to rebuild.
The gorgeous natural yarns in the sheep barn caught my attention, and I am mulling over the possibilities of coming back up for the Vermont Sheep and Wool Festival in early October. (Let's not tell Gretta there will be sheep herding as well, OK?)

Are you fascinated by rural fairs? 

To see a 2010 version of the fair, click here.
For a 2009 version, click here.

3 comments:

  1. That doesn't work when I read your blog! Well it's okay. I've seen tons of Australian shepherd pups around. They are gorgeous! Thanks for my goat fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds absolutely wonderful, Karen!! Must have been a great day for you!!
    Hope you get to the sheep and wool festival - I went to one in Dutchess County NY years ago and I've never forgotten it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear the sheep and wool fest is one of the best! I'd love to go sometime . . .

    ReplyDelete