inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

leaping greenly spirits*

Every spring there is a morning when I wake up, look outside and realize that overnight the world has turned green, and I think of the fabulous poem by e. e. cummings*. Today was the day.

In celebration of all things green and in honor of e. e. cummings, I blended up a green smoothie for breakfast. Drinking a glass full of vitamins and minerals is a great way to start the day. I often eat better all day long when I start out this way.

I always start with about three cups of washed and chopped kale, but any leafy green veg will work. The greens go into the blender, then I add a variety of fresh or frozen fruit. (Sometimes, when bananas that have been sitting on the counter become a bit too ripe, I peel them and store them in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Green smoothies are a great way to use these up). When using apples or peaches, I leave the skin on. I usually throw in a few tablespoons of lightly ground flax seed, and for a very special treat, I add a little bit of maple syrup. I pack the blender pretty full, then add water to about 2-2 1/2" below the top of the blender, put the top on tight, and blend until fairly smooth. 

This recipe makes enough for two to share, or (since Batman is not interested in enjoying this) I usually drink half for breakfast and the other half as a mid-afternoon energy boost. (Thanks go to Heather at Beauty That Moves and her 30 dayVegan Challenge for getting me to try a green smoothie a little over a year ago).

Now I am off to a morning in my sewing studio, and a chance to finish up my embroidered fern project.

May your spirits leap in a greenly way today!

5 comments:

  1. it is a glorious thing to see green
    When we go to Galena...and pass fields...I can't wait to see green in the trees near the fileds which are plowed for the new season...joy
    but I'm with batman....pond scum
    but Ill take the banana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green, yes GREEN! It's happened here, too.

    Smoothies are so much fun because you can really throw anything into the blender and they turn out deliciously. I've been on a hot wheat cereal kick, but once it gets warmer for real, we'll be back to smoothies for breakfast.

    Your bleeding hearts are lovely, as is the Basho poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know JUST what you mean about the first "green" day of spring. Ours came so early this year - in early March. Glad yours has finally arrived. Perhaps I'll try you smoothie recipe to celebrate belatedly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a really hard time eating breakfast; oddly enough, green smoothies are one thing I can handle in the morning! Yay for green:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say I blame Batman... green sludge or milk and cookies from Alfred.

    ReplyDelete