inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, August 6, 2012

noticing, celebrating and finding wonder

I woke this morning to a fresh and clear day, with many thanks to the drenching thunderstorms last night (thank you, Mother Nature!). I brewed a cup of tea and walked a bit. As I stood at the top of this wall, which says "their property on the left and ours on the right", I pondered the bombing of Hiroshima (67 years ago, today), and recent shootings in Colorado and Wisconsin. There are so many things that separate humans from one another...walls, religion, misunderstanding, class, culture, sexual orientation, resources, ignorance, greed, fear...sadly, the list goes on and on.

It is difficult. It is exhausting and wearying. I cannot ignore it, so I try to find my way through it.

I cannot change the past. If I am to accomplish any good work in the future, I strive to cultivate and absorb and be in the present moment. 
And I celebrate.
I celebrate ordinary, everyday blessings.
Sometimes it's as simple as looking up.
Or noticing what's right under my nose.
Like a simple mug of homemade granola, homegrown blueberries and yogurt...

I take a silly delight in how well a multi-grain English muffin can accomodate the gorgeous heirloom tomatoes I found at the Green Mountain Girls Farm the other day. Slather some mayo, sprinkle with salt and pepper, layer with pea sprouts, and you end up with a mighty fine supper.
I send a shout out to Dog River Farm, where an "honor system" money box at the farm stand made me smile. (Thank you for the fabulous corn on the cob).

I get a kick out of the many dogs around here, who ride in trucks and cars, with their heads poking out of open windows, tongues hanging in the breeze and ears flapping.

I  love my evening meditation out in the yard, as I watch the sun go down over the mountains, and feel the cooling breeze as it lifts the boughs of the balsams and rustles the birches. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I hear an owl or the coyotes.

Noticing, celebrating and finding wonder in the small things...that's what fuels and sustains me as I tackle the big stuff in life. 

What are you noticing, celebrating and finding wonder in today?

7 comments:

  1. First, I am finding wonder in your photographs and words, Karen. Was it Robert Frost who wrote, "Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down."? Like you, he was writing about things that divide us. Of course, there is something beautiful, too, about the sight of a stone wall...
    I'm finding wonder in the recent company of family and friends, the new burst of cooler, fresher air we're being blessed with, and all the wonderful, kind and loving things that people do for each other all over the world every day. These shootings are unimaginably hateful and stupid, but the media makes it seem like that is all that has happened in the world on a given day.
    I think there is more love than hate. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's what I choose to believe.
    I love seeing what you are up to on your bit of earth.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very sad list of divisions. I feel helpless in the face of so much hate in the world; I do think Judy is right in that there is more love than hate. I wish the love was celebrated and documented as much as the hate.

    I too like to take my evening meditation in the yard. I sit on the ground by my flowers and watch the late evening bees finish up their days work:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne asks a similar question in her post today. And I'll wager there's any number of us who wonder the same things often.
    Living in the moment, paying attention, these are the antidotes I find for life's dis-ease. Reading blogs of beautiful people like you, fill the cup when life knocks me down and my spirit spills.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Karen, I cannot find the words but often feel the same. We try to work in our own way for a better world, less inequality, less poverty, less arms, less guys who gain a lot on selling arms and so on... Thom is in Switserland since yesterday for an international anarchist gathering. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.anarchisme2012.ch/index.php?lang=en

    ReplyDelete
  5. not being able to do anything about the 'big things'sometimes means you have to concentrate on the things you can do something about.
    enjoy your piece of earth!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I needed to see and hear today. I hope to do good in the furture, letting go of the past and LOOK! Love this blog...glad I found you through Mary, Erin's mom. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen!
    Lovely post. Your mug of blueberry granola yogurt looks delicious...I scroll down to find the amazing looking tomato sandwich and feel like I've just had breakfast and lunch served to me. My tomatoes are taking forever to turn.
    So thinking about making some dilled green tomatoes this weekend and dilled beans too as I have beans coming out of my ears.
    I love your little animals in your blog banner.
    So sweet.
    Like you :-)

    ReplyDelete