inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, December 4, 2017

a piece of my mind

Dearest friends,

Our tree cutting gathering was a lovely success, with old and new friends coming and going in the driveway. Folks overlapped and munched cookies and drank hot cider and swapped stories. Money was raised for the Vermont Land Trust. And for a few hours we all ignored what is going on in the outside world.

Blessed relief.

But now it is Monday and I'd like to share some more serious thoughts with you, dear readers. We all have different coping skills and strategies for dealing with life's challenges. I'm one who can sit with complaint and grumbles for only so long. Then I remember that if I am not part of the solution I'm part of the problem. 

So, I've been keeping an eye out for ways to contribute to positive change in this day and age. I've been acting locally because I cannot bear to think globally. It is too dang overwhelming these days.  

And here's the really cool thing...once I started looking closer for ways to be of use I've been finding them in so many places! And this makes me feel hopeful! Some are very tiny, doable things...some are bigger, scarier things...but the list gets longer and more engaging as I keep looking.

Some of it has to do with simply finding kindred spirits. I'm growing my circle of friends here in rural Vermont and also out in the wider world of the interconnected internet. There are farmers, crafters, poets, musicians, activists and writers all over Instagram that offer a peek into their hopes and projects and creativity. A few intrepid bloggers are still writing.

There are great books to read, podcasts to listen to, volunteer work to tackle. There are conversations to have, the kind where people actually listen to one another and try to understand the other person's heart. There are deep breaths to take and windowsill gardens to grow and walks to take and food pantries to gift to. There's angry snail mail to write and lovely notes as well. There are days when self care is important, when resting and withdrawing may be the most pro-active thing we can do. 

Anyhow...I'm going to try to post here nearly every day in December. I'll share bits of my journey as I try to shake off the overwhelm and the discouragement. Because I cannot bear to let the greed and corruption win. At least not without putting up a damn good fight.

I sure do hope you will pop by and leave comments often. I would love your feedback and hear about ways you may have found to #persist. We are stronger together than we are alone, friends.

xo


2 comments:

  1. The fact that you plan on posting more frequently is good news to me! Let me tell you about a local (Hopewell, NJ) activity that may interest you. In memory of the Newtown children, a local organization chooses a school in Trenton and asks people to buy books for the school. On that sad day in December, these kind people bring boxes of books to the school. The goal is to increase the size of the school library and also to send each child home with their own book. Isn't that beautiful?

    ReplyDelete